I have had some strong cravings for cheesy pasta lately, so we decided to make mac ‘n cheese the other night, and it turned out SO good.
Seriously, seriously good. Here is the recipe: (I found it on allrecipes.com)
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 pinch paprika
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Serve.
I substituted elbow macaroni noodles for shells, which is what we had on hand. I also added two handfuls of chopped ham to it, since we were just doing that as our main dish without any side-dishes. I also shredded provolone cheese on the top instead of using the Parmesan. Seriously, so good! Give it a try, you will not regret it.
Wish my husband enjoyed mac n cheese, but maybe I will try it for lunch sometime.