I have had some strong cravings for cheesy pasta lately, so we decided to make mac ‘n cheese the other night, and it turned out SO good.
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 pinch paprika
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Serve.
I substituted elbow macaroni noodles for shells, which is what we had on hand. I also added two handfuls of chopped ham to it, since we were just doing that as our main dish without any side-dishes. I also shredded provolone cheese on the top instead of using the Parmesan. Seriously, so good! Give it a try, you will not regret it.